18 August 2020

Ludovico Ariosto: "Do you even know yourself?"



Philippa's Tomb

A weighty slab of marble keeps Philippa trapped.
With less, her husband feared, she might've escaped.

*

Who was I, you ask? Well, Philippa was my name.
No, no more questions. I'll not play that game.
Let's say, “A woman, I found no womanly thing alien,”
and hope you'll take that in the good sense I mean.
Something personal? Do you even know yourself?
Now, mind your own business and bugger off.




[ Epigram: Marmoris ingenti sub pondere clausa ]

Marmoris ingenti sub pondere clausa Philippa est:
Cavit vir tandem ne ulterius fugeret.

*

Quaeris quae fuerim? Me scito fuisse Philippam:
Plura rogas? Nolo plura loqui, nisi quod
Nil alienum a me mulier muliebre putavi:
Hoc, heus! in partem accipe, quaeso, bonam.
Quid tibi vis? An me interius vis nosse? Quid ipsum
Ten noscis? Prior haec sit tibi cura, et abi.




No comments:

Post a Comment